Ferndene Guest House Access Statement
Ferndene Guest House is a Victorian town house in Keswick that has been sympathetically modernised and updated as a contemporary seven guest room Bed and Breakfast. Spread over five floors, Ferndene retains many of the original features of a nineteenth century building and contains the dining room, three standard guest rooms and our guest suite. To the rear of the property is the Ferndene Annexe, a newer building that contains our three en suite guest rooms. The front of the property is higher than the rear, with the dining room and front entrance being at ground level to the front but on the first floor from the rear and Annexe.
If you have any queries not covered in this document or would like further information please do not hesitate to contact us (see below) and we will do our best to help.
Richard and Christine Marsden
Ferndene Guest House, 6 St John's Terrace, Ambleside Road, Keswick CA12 4DP
Telephone: 017687 74612
- You may book by telephoning, booking online or emailing Ferndene to check availability.
You can check availability online by following the relevant link on our
- Keswick bus station is approx 15 minutes walk, partially level and partially up a low hill, from Ferndene.
- Nearest mainline train station is in Penrith, approximately 17 miles from Keswick.
- Bus Travel info 08712002233
- Train times www.thetrainline.com
Local Taxi services are available:
- Davies Taxis 017687 72676
- Sue Franks Taxis 017687 78776
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- We have a car park available at the rear of Ferndene, next to our Annex, with five marked bays.
- There are five spaces available in the car park and we have seven rooms. While we make every attempt to make a car parking space to all our guests during busy times it may be necessary to park on the roads outside the property. Unrestricted roadside parking is usually available within a short distance of the guest house.
- Due to the shape of the car park (long and narrow) cars are required to park one in front of the other and next to each other. Space is at a premium and room for unloading is limited to the side and rear of vehicles and cannot be guaranteed. We would recommend that those who require some space to enter/leave or to load/unload their vehicle do so before or after parking in the car park.
- Parking in the car park is on a "first come first served" basis. We cannot reserve car parking spaces nor guarantee that latecomers will not have to park at the roadside.
- Access to the rear of Ferndene is through the car park. When the car park is busy access to the Ferndene Annexe and main house rear door is between the parked cars, the space between which is variable, depending how people have parked, and can be quite narrow.
- The car park is lit during the hours of darkness.
- We are pleased to assist with luggage as necessary.
- Keswick Town Centre is approximately a five-minute walk. Mostly level but with a slight gradient.
- The property is carpeted throughout excluding the en suites and bathroom facilities which have vinyl flooring.
- All doors are around 75cm wide.
- We do not have a Guest Lounge but all rooms have chairs and colour TV.
Front Entrance & Hall
- The front entrance has 2 steps to the front door.
- During daytime hours the front door is usually open giving access to the porch area.
- The doorbell is a push button.
- The inner porch door is usually locked and leads in to the hallway which is lit by a 2 bulb chandelier.
- There is a dresser in the hall with a visitor book, this has a "Ring for Attention" bell on the wall next to it.
- From the hallway there is a door to the right which leads to the dining room and there are stairs directly ahead to the upper floors. Ahead and under the stairs there is a door down to the rear of the property and the Annexe.
- The stairs have a wooden banister rail.
- The rear entrance is reached by three steps up to a small patio area from the car park.
- During daytime hours the rear door is usually open giving access to the rear passage.
- The doorbell is a push button.
- The rear passage leads to a flight of 11 stairs leading up to the hall.
- The breakfast room is light and airy, generally lit by three lamps and natural light through the bay windows.
- The chairs and tables are moveable at the owner's discretion - normally we seat in twos or fours. Note that at busy times the opportunities to rearrange tables may be limited due to the need to maintain access to all tables.
- We use white crockery and your freshly cooked breakfast is served to your table for you.
- We normally play background music in the dining room.
- We are happy to explain the options available for breakfast and do our best to cater for all tastes and needs but please let us know if you have any particular requirements.
- We are happy to advise on local restaurants to suit all tastes and requirements; we encourage guests to leave feedback on their dining experiences for the benefit of other visitors. We can make bookings for guests if required.
- We cannot offer laundry facilities but we have a drying room for guest use and we are happy to provide an iron if required.
- We do not have our own facilities but we are happy to advise on facilities available in the area.
- We have no bedrooms on the ground floor.
- The rooms are generally decorated in white or cream with white furniture and white bedding.
- There is a central ceiling light in each room with either bedside lights on the bedside tables or wall lights.
- In each room there is a colour television with remote control and teletext. We do not have induction looping.
- There are tea and coffee making facilities provided in each room with a corded kettle.
- En suite facilities are all walk in shower cubicles (except for Room 8 in the Annexe, which possesses a bath and shower over it) with lavatories. Additionally, the three standard rooms in the main house share two bathrooms, one of which has a full sized bath with shower fitted overhead.
- All rooms contain washbasins except for the guest suite in the main house and Room 8 in the Annexe, both of which have washbasins in the en suite.
- All lavatories and washbasins are at British standard heights.
- The heating in each room can be controlled by guests either by a radiator or a heater.
- To access the standard bedrooms in the main house there are four flights of stairs from the hall, separated by small landings. These flights are of 10, 7, 10 and 7 (34 in total) stairs respectively.
- The three standard bedrooms share two bathrooms. The first is located off the first landing (10 stairs up from the hall) up one step and contains lavatory, washbasin and bath with shower over it. The second, containing a walk in shower and lavatory, is adjacent to the standard rooms.
- The guest suite occupies the entire top floor of the property and can be reached by a flight of 11 stairs up from the floor with the standard rooms (45 stairs).
- The Annexe entrance is reached by one step up from the car park.
- During daytime hours the front door is usually open giving access to the Annexe entrance.
- The Annexe passage leads to a flight of 10 stairs leading up to the guest rooms.
- The Annexe passage is lit by a wall light and the hall to the guest rooms by ceiling halogen lights.
- There is a garden at the front of the property, with seats, and a patio with seating area at the rear that can be used by guests as required. The patio area can be reached by three steps up from the car park.
- The property is fitted with a fire alarm with call points, smoke/heat detectors and emergency lighting throughout. A bell sounds if evacuation is needed.
- The guest house is a non smoking establishment and we do not accept pets.
- We have a secure wireless broadband connection available upon request.
- Mobile phone service is generally available throughout the property but this does vary by different networks.
- We can cater for special diets (advance notice preferred) and have a limited amount of space in our fridge where we are happy to store medication or special foods (not available 24 hours).
- Rooms are available from 3:00 PM onwards and last check in is at 9:00 PM. We ask that guests advise us of their estimated time of arrival in advance where possible.
- Last check out is at 10.00 AM.